Miller Wood recognized for contributions to student journalists

Each year, MIPA recognizes a media outlet or publication, person, or people, who have provided outstanding support to scholastic journalism either to an individual school, a school district or MIPA, in some form. This year, MIPA names Jeanne Miller Wood, Photo Editor of the Missourian (Franklin County), as the 2019 Contributing Medium Award winner.

The 2019 Contributing Medium Award goes to Jeanne Miller Wood, photo editor for the Missourian (Franklin County).

Over the years, Miller Wood and the Missourian have supported MIPA in a number of ways, most recently as a consistent sponsor for student scholarships for the Student Journalists of the Year. In addition, Miller Wood supports students in her community through internships and other opportunities.

The nomination from MIPA vice-president Michelle Turner reads, “Jeanne does more than cover local news for the Missourian Publishing Company. She is a true friend and mentor to any student who shows an interest in Journalism. Any time our schedules align, Jeanne will come speak to students at events I am helping with, or even in my classroom. When we need donors to assist with honoring the MIPA Student Journalist of the Year, Jeanne (and her husband Mike) make personal contributions to the fund. Jeanne will also go out on a limb and take a chance on young reporters and photojournalists, giving them invaluable experience while they are in high school! I know so for a fact, because this year she has taken one of my students, Kate Freitag, under her wing at the Washington branch of the Missourian Publishing Company. Jeanne certainly is a friendly face in our community, photographing many events, but she is so much more! She is a mentor and an excellent example of how to live a full and rewarding life as a local journalist!”

In their decision, judges wrote, “She is generous and super supportive.” and  “I do not know Jeanne personally, but I have seen her around Washington at local events, and she does a wonderful job of covering the school and promoting journalism among high school students.”

Service award recipients will be recognized at the annual Journalism Day on Monday, March 25, at the University of Missouri-Columbia.

For more information on these awards, please read: