Three incredibly talented student journalists submitted their portfolios for consideration this year.
The MIPA judge chose Rachel Adamson of Winnetonka High School as the MIPA Student Journalist of the Year. Adamson is the editor-in-chief of “Griffin Rites” student newsmagazine at Winnetonka, advised by Laura Williams.
Adamson and the other entrants will be recognized at the annual MIPA Journalism Day scheduled for Wednesday, March 29, in Jesse Hall on the MU campus.
The MIPA SJOY winner traditionally delivers a brief speech when accepting the award. In addition to the award this year, these sponsors have provided a cash award valued at $1,100.
Those sponsors include:
- $250 from the Missouri Press Association http://www.mopress.com/
- $200 from Jeanne Miller-Wood and her husband, Mike. Missourian Publishing.http://www.emissourian.com/
- $150 from Jostens, Jostens.com
- $100 from John Kelley, Amanda Tillery, Tracy Tuley, Anessa Musgrave, and Alyssa Moses Walsworth http://www.walsworthyearbooks.com/
- $100 from Molly Baker, Herff Jones http://www.yearbookdiscoveries.com/
- $100 from MissouriLife Magazine http://www.missourilife.com/
- $100 from Whitney Baker at Balfour Yearbook http://www.balfour.com/
- $100 from Jami Williams of Mexico High School in memory of her mother, Mickey Hunt, who worked in newspaper for 30 years at a small weekly in Northeast Missouri.