Challenge 3 opens

It’s time for the third and final J Challenge of the School Year!
Entries must be submitted by midnight January 30, 2019 at this link.

#1. Newspaper/Newsmagazine Challenge 

TOPIC: After a MSHSAA vote in Spring 2018, Missouri became the ninth state to add Girls Wrestling. This is just one of the many examples of the gender stereotypes from your parent’s and grandparent’s high school days being redefined. Gone are the days of only boys in “shop class” and girls in “home economics.” How have gender roles changed in your school over the decades? Tell the story from your school’s perspective.  

Students may enter in teams of two, three, or four people. Staffs may enter two entries from two different teams. Students will create a final layout (one or two pages) that includes at least: one article, one headline, one photo, one caption, and one infographic over the topic. Page dimensions should fit what the school uses for its publication. Any additional photos, graphic, advertisements, etc. are encouraged, but not required. 

#2. Yearbook Challenge

TOPIC: Social Media’s impact upon your school. Maybe you have some students who are brand ambassadors or social media influencers. Perhaps your school’s spirit squad promotes theme nights this way. From the ups to the downs, Social Media is changing the culture of your school and community. Tell the story. 

Students may enter in teams of two, three, or four people. Staffs may enter two entries from two different teams. Students will create a two-page spread that includes at least one article, one headline, three photos and three captions over the topic provided. Page dimensions should fit what your school uses for its publication. Any additional photos, captions, graphics, etc. are encouraged, but not required. 

#3. Editorial Challenge

TOPIC: Missouri is one of the few states in our nation without a law banning texting and driving. Currently, it only applies to drivers under 21. Is this acceptable? Is this enough? Remember this is the second round of the Editorial Challenge because last time the judge declared “no winner” in this area. You can see why in this link: https://mipajournalism.com/2845/broadcast/challenge-2-proves-challenging-to-judge/

Online or print newspaper/newsmagazine publications will submit one staff editorial on the topic provided. Staff editorials are editorials representative of the publication staff, not of one staff member.