January Photo of the Month results announced

Thank you to all students who have participated in the monthly photo challenges. We’ve seen dozens of excellent photos, so keep up the great work. Below are the results for January. 

JANUARY PHOTO OF THE MONTH RESULTS

1st Place: John Pham,  North Kansas City High School

SUPER BOWL BOUND At the Power and Light District in downtown Kansas City, a hypeman and the crowd of fans celebrate the Chiefs winning the AFC Championship on Jan. 19. The hypeman waved a Chiefs flag and sprayed a champagne bottle while screaming, “We’re going to Miami, KC!” The AFC Championship victory sends the Chiefs to Super Bowl LIV; their last Super Bowl appearance was 50 years ago in Super Bowl IV. Photo by John Pham

Judges’ Comments: You did an amazing job with stopping the action, capturing the moment and using framing to draw the viewers’ attention to your subject. Way to go outside of your school and capture moments that are news for the community (and nation) as well. How will you use this in your publication? Are there students in the photograph?

Honorable Mention: Kaylin Higgins,  Kearney High School

Senior Logan Richter dances with senior Gracie Rothweiler during the Golden Boys performance at halftime of a basketball game. The Golden Boys dance is a tradition where several senior boys learn a dance with the Golden Girls. “Watching the Golden Boys dance made me feel empowered,” sophomore Keanon McNally said.

Judges’ Comments: Good job capturing the subjects’ expressions, stopping their action and getting decent exposure in a gym setting. Try working more with your aperture settings and blurring out the background next time to make the subjects really pop.

FEBRUARY PHOTO OF THE MONTH:

Photos must be taken between February 1-29. All submissions are due at 11:59 p.m. on Saturday, February 29. One photo submission per publication. Winners will be announced by March 10! See all details and the submission entry link here on the MIPA website. Happy photo taking!