MIPA Names White as SJOY 2019

Eleven incredibly skilled student journalists submitted their portfolios for consideration this year.

MIPA’s Student Journalist of the Year will be presented to Abby White, a senior at Lee’s Summit West. She serves as editor in chief of the Titan Scroll student news magazine, which is advised by Carol Ullery. White plans to attend Mizzou in the fall and as the winner of the Student Journalist of the Year award, will receive a $2,500 scholarship from the Missouri School of Journalism.

White will be recognized as the 50th annual SJOY at the annual MIPA Journalism Day scheduled for Monday, March 25, in Jesse Hall on the MU campus.

The MIPA SJOY winner traditionally delivers a brief speech when accepting the award.

The winner of the MIPA Student Journalist of the Year will receive a $2,500 scholarship from the Missouri School of Journalism if the recipient attends Mizzou and majors in journalism. The student may qualify for other scholarships as well.

“The Student Journalist of the Year award honors the excellence, dedication and outstanding work of a Missouri high school journalism student,” said David Kurpius, dean of the School. “This scholarship will help the winner develop the professional skills and talents that are vital to the preservation of democracy.”

In addition to the award this year, these sponsors have provided a cash award valued at $900:

• $250 from the MIPA board of judges
  • $200 from Jeanne Miller-Wood and her husband, Mike. Missourian Publishing.
  • $150 from Whitney Baker and Liz Bardin at Balfour Yearbook.
  • $150 from Jostens.
  • $150 from John Kelley, Amanda Tillery, Tracy Tuley, Anessa Musgrave, and Alyssa Moses with Walsworth.

J-Day 2019 sponsors include:

Runners up are Kathryn Freitag of Washington High School, Washington, and Wilhelmina Buchholz of Oak Park High School, Kansas City.