January Photo of the Month winners announced

JANUARY WINNERS

First Place: Maya Culian, Francis Howell Central

Stevie Lupo, sophomore, wins her match as part of the GAC championships. (Maya Culian, Francis Howell Central)

Judge’s Comments: While the photographer could have left a bit more room on the edge of their framing so the cropping isn’t so close, the intensity and action of this image is fantastic. Wrestling is a rough sport, and the moment that is captured demonstrates this and the determination and pain felt by the athletes.

Second Place: Mason Baugh, Staley High School

In the locker room, senior forward Emmanuel Byrd reflects on a grueling win while listening to a post-game speech from coach Christopher Neff Jan. 14. Varsity continued their state championship run against the formidable Park Hill South team with a 43-39 victory. “It’s not what happens to you,” Byrd said. “It’s how you respond.” (Mason Baugh, Staley High Schoool)

Judge’s Comments: The focus in this picture is clear and eye-catching, but it is the framing that is particularly unique. Though there is little action going on and the audience cannot see what the subject is looking at, it is clear that the setting is a locker room and that the subject is just one member of a team. However, the subject’s facial expression conveys the emotions of the moment. This was a great approach to photographing something very common but from a different perspective.

Third Place: Kaya Barringer, North Kansas City High School

Nearing the end of her race, freshman swimmer Vy Nguyen makes her way through her final lap. Nguyen raced against members of the Stoaktown team, Liberty North, and Smithville. “I really like my team. I’ve made a lot of new friends outside of Northtown,” Nguyen said.(Kaya Barringer, North Kansas City High School)

Judge’s Comments: There are many great photography composition techniques demonstrated in this image. In addition to a clear focus and good exposure, the selective focus is wonderful and the leading lines created by the lane dividers draw the viewer’s eyes in and back out of the image. Though this may not be the typical swim action shot people are used to seeing where the swimmer is coming straight at them and there are large splashes frozen in the moment, this image demonstrates the slower, more peaceful side of swim without sacrificing action.

Honorable Mentions