Missouri Interscholastic Press Association

A Multimedia Editor at The Wall Street Journal to Headline Missouri’s 50th J-Day

MIPA is pleased to announce the line up of speakers and sessions for J-Day 2019!

• 8-8:30 a.m. registration opens
  • 8:45 a.m. Introduction
  • 9-9:30 a.m. Keynote Speaker:

Brian McGill is a Multimedia Editor for Politics and Policy at The Wall Street Journal. Prior to joining WSJ, he worked at the Atlantic MediaThe Tampa Tribune and the Springfield (Mo.) News-Leader. McGill conveys his reporting and analysis of news through data visualizations for both print and online platforms. His work includes everything from information graphics, 3D modeling, interactives, news games, cartography and illustrations. Projects he has reported on include four presidential elections, NASA, gender inequality, sporting events, economic development, historical events, etc.

A native of Kansas City, McGill graduated from Mizzou with a bachelor’s degree in journalism with an emphasis in photojournalism and information graphics. Also, he is an alumnus of J-Day while working on the Cambia yearbook staff at Oak Park High School, Kansas City. You can see some of McGill’s work at brianjmcgill.com

Support for McGill is provided by the William Randolph Hearst Endowment for Visiting Professionals, established in 1990 at the Missouri School of Journalism by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation.

• 9:45 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Breakout sessions (see schedule below)
  • 1:45 3 p.m. Awards Ceremony — includes SJOY, JTOY, EJE, AOY, Taft, Knight, Contributing Medium Award winners, plus recognizing the individual All-Missouri award winners on stage

Breakout Sessions include: A schedule will be set up in mid-March and shared here.

Class session descriptions and speakers:

• TBD
  • MIPA Business Luncheon– MIPA board members – This meeting is for advisers, speakers and vendors only. During this annual session board members offer updates on MIPA events and programs, the new board will take office, speakers and teachers may meet each other, some speakers have requested time to address the room, lunch will be available ($ for catered sandwiches and sides, sign up during registration; or you may bring your own lunch from home of off-campus), etc.

Campus Map to the Breakout Sessions:

Campus Tours:

Campus tours must be requested by the adviser for their group. The adviser should go to: http://missouri.edu/visitors/field-trips.php. Due to MU being on spring break during J-Day, there will be a limited number of tour guides available. Tour requests will be processed in the order they are received.

Instructions:

If you cannot get a guided tour, you may do a self-guided tour of campus by visiting: https://www.youvisit.com/tour/missouri?tourid=tour1&pl=v&m_prompt=1.

Speaker Bios:

• Bios will be available soon.